Residency Verification

Initial Enrollment
At the time of registration, the parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court must present proof of residency in the District as required by law.
Examples of documentation that may be used to verify residency include:
  1. Current utility bill showing name, current address, and date
  2. Rental agreement or lease (if applicable)

  3. If the student is living with a parent in another person's residence and therefore cannot provide proof of residency in the parent's name, the parent and owner of the residence will need to complete a Residency Affidavit Form available at the Burnet CISD Central Office (208 E. Brier Street).  Both parties will need to provide a form of identification and the owner of the residence must provide proof of residency document mentioned above.

For a student living separate and apart from his or her parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control under order of a court, the adult District resident with whom the student resides must provide proof of residency in the same manner as a parent.
For a nonresident student whose resident grandparent provides a substantial amount of after-school care, the grandparent must provide proof of residency in the same manner as a parent.

Continued Enrollment
After a student’s initial enrollment, the District will verify residency through the annual registration forms and may investigate stated residency as necessary.
In accordance with law, the District may make reasonable inquiries to determine whether the student is a resident of the District, including when a document submitted for purposes of proving residency is not in the name of the adult who is enrolling the student. Based on an individual’s circumstance, the District may grant exceptions to the requirement to produce a document listed above. When required by law, the District will waive the requirement to prove residency in the District boundaries.
The District will request that a power of attorney or an authorization agreement, as provided by Chapter 34 of the Family Code, be provided for any student not currently residing with a parent or guardian. The District will establish a timeline for the completion and return of the power of attorney or the authorization agreement, as well as establish a procedure for waiving this request when the Superintendent determines that a student’s circumstances preclude compliance.