Parents and employees should assume school will start as planned unless they receive notice otherwise. Official notice of school closure or delay will be provided through School Messenger, media outlets and the BCISD website.
Procedures for Closing School
When there is cause for concern for the safety of children, parents, and staff as regards to opening school during normal operating hours, the following processes will take place. A decision to operate as usual, delay the start of school, or cancel classes for the day will be made as close to 5:00 A.M. as is possible considering the conditions that exist at the time.
- Weather conditions will be monitored overnight by the Transportation Director, Director of Facilities and Operations, and Coordinator of Emergency Preparedness. Communications will be maintained with DPS and the Burnet County Sheriff’s office.
- No later than 3:30 A.M., the Transportation Director, Director of Facilities and Operations, and Coordinator of Emergency Preparedness will notify the Superintendent of road conditions and the predicted impact on the operation of the district for the coming day.
- These four individuals will meet at the administration building or confer remotely no later than 4:30 A.M. to form a plan of action and communications.
- The Superintendent will confer with Superintendents from surrounding school districts regarding possible plans for closure.
- After considering all available information, the Superintendent of Schools will make the decision by 5:00 A.M. regarding school operations for the day.
- The Superintendent will notify the Superintendent’s Cabinet so the notification process can begin.
- The Superintendent will notify the Board of Trustees regarding school closure plans.
- A decision to delay the start of or cancel classes will be communicated to the media by the Admin. Asst. to the Superintendent.
- The Elementary Curriculum Director will launch a message through School Messenger and notify the Elementary Campus Principals.
- The Secondary Curriculum Director will notify the Secondary Campus Principals.
- The Transportation Director will notify drivers regarding school delay or closure plans.
- The Director of Business and Finance will notify the Food Service Director of any changes in the coming day so that they may make appropriate plans.
- The Coordinator of Emergency Preparedness will notify County and City officials regarding closure plans.
- The Director of Facilities and Operations will notify the Maintenance and Custodial Bad Weather Day Response Team.
- The Technology Director will post school closure information on the BCISD website and set the bad weather message on the phone system.
- The Superintendent’s Cabinet will conduct a conference call at 10 a.m.
- The Technology Director will be responsible for updating the website and phone message during the school day.
- After monitoring weather conditions, if it is determined that schools will be closed or delayed more than one day, notification procedures will be followed as above.
In the event of a delay of School, the procedures will be followed as above and will include the following guidelines:
- Buses will run 2 hours later than a regular day which will therefore delay pick up times by 2 hours.
- School will start 2 hours later than the regularly scheduled school start time.
- Breakfast will be served on the campuses 2 hours later than a regular school day.
- Lunch times will remain the same as a regular school day.
- If weather conditions allow, all Administrative and Office staff will report to work as if it were a regular school day.
- The Superintendent’s Cabinet will meet at 10 a.m. to debrief and update delay procedures.